Kids & Family Yoga
Harlem Yoga Studio is committed to being a space where the whole family can thrive! We are thrilled to offer essential tools to help young yogis during each of the various stages of development.
Through structured play we explore self control, physical expression, and compassion towards self and others.
Yoga at our Studio hOMe
Our classes are structured to emphasize the things that matter most to YOU.
In a survey to over 65 Harlem Families, these were the top values for our Yoga Community.
*** Please note, our classes are on the third floor !! ***
KIDS after-school Yoga Fall Semester begins October 16th!
In our Kids and Family Classes we use age appropriate stories, songs, games, art projects, and dance breaks we explore the many aspects of yoga. We engage in conversation that is specific and personal, yet community focused. In addition to teaching children healthy ways to address and explore their own bodies, we aim to create healthier perspectives of self and others inside of our community. Family classes allow for drop-ins each week, while our afterschool KIDS classes are sold in 5 or 10 class packages only to encourage consistency and allow for curriculum development week to week.
- Emotional Intelligence and Health
- Socialization and Play
- Build Positive Relationships
- Development of Self-Concept and Self-Control
- Development of Empathy and Compassion
- Relaxation Coordination and Proprioception
- Breathing Techniques
Yoga in Schools
What we do:
Harlem Yoga studio offers on-site classes for students, educators, and parents.
All classes are tailored to the developmental needs of students and educational goals of the school. With many stories, songs, games, art projects, and dance breaks we explore the many aspects of yoga. We engage in conversation that is specific and personal, yet community focused. In addition to teaching students healthy ways to address and explore their own bodies, we aim to create healthier perspectives of self and others inside of our larger community.
Classes can be created for in-school or after-school with a variety of program options from one-day workshops to year-long weekly series. Classes for educators and parents can focus on self-care and embodiment as well as integrating mindfulness and movement techniques into day-to-day learning activities.
- Seniors under a great deal of pressure with testing and college prep- class emphasis on stress reduction, decision making, and focus.
- 6th graders beginning to experience hormonal changes and new environments- class emphasis on finding comfort and confidence in change.
- Teachers interested in finding more effective classroom management strategies- class emphasis on incorporating breathing and body awareness to help students self manage behavior.
- Teachers and parents who need a moment to take a breath and a stretch for themselves- class emphasis feeling strong, present, and relaxed inside bodies and minds.
Benefits of Yoga for the Developing Mind and Body:
- Developing brains are more sensitive to the negative effects of stress.
- Static and dynamic muscular strengthening and stretching, with conscious breathing can help both cardiovascular fitness and cognitive development.
- Mindfulness techniques physically change the structures of the brain responsible for learning, memory, anxiety and stress.
- Incorporating mindfulness into spaces of learning has been shown to improve the attitude, perception, attention and overall emotional intelligence.
- Regular practice of mindful and interoceptive activities improve visual-spatial processing, working memory, impulse control, decision making, and learning while simultaneously reducing stress and fatigue.